Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Trinity Youth Ministry

In the fall of 1998 I joined Trinity's Youth Ministry for the very first time, as a young 7th grade girl, under the care of Dan and Kelly Schimdt! They both left such a huge mark on my life, not only in the way that they did ministry, but in the way that they loved one another and loved their children. Lee Stephenson was a youth intern during my Jr. High Years, became Asst. Youth Pastor my Freshman year and took over the whole youth ministry after Dan and Kelly followed the Lord's calling to Colorado the summer between my Junior/Senior year. Lee was awesome, I learned so much from him and watched his relationship with his Bride, Melissa unfold and their marriage blossom. Melissa was a riot, I don't think that I have ever had so many good laughs with a leader like I shared with Melissa. She was such a woman of God and an amazing example to all of us young girls as to what a Bride looks like, not only a Bride to her husband, but also a Bride to Christ. After my Senior year of high school Lee and Melissa moved to Arizona where Lee is currently a Pastor! Most people would think that my story should end there...I mean that was the end of my year as a student in Trinity's Youth Group, little did I know then, but it was far from the end of my role in Trinity's Youth Ministry. I was a small group leader under Dave and Becky Daye for 3 years, I learned alot from them as I watched them balance family and ministry together! John Ferguson came on staff to serve alongside Dave during the summer of 2005 during Last Blast! We were put on the same team that year and he nick named me captain. I knew during that week that this servant of God would be alot of fun as an addition to the Trinity Youth Ministry team, I just never would have imagined it would have been any more than being a small group leader on Wednesday nights. When Dave and Becky announced that God had called them to leave and go serve in Connecticut, I began to pray for the youth ministry alot! So many changes of youth pastors in so few years, I knew how hard it was for me as a student when Dan left, and here some of these students have now gone through several youth pastor's. When my phone rang on a Sunday night in May 2007 and the name popped up Fergy (aka John Ferguson) I never imagined he would be asking me to come on staff under him as a youth intern. Through out the 4 years I served under John, with other interns, Steve Olson, Michael Yoder, Taylor Harsch, Mike Lee and Sarah Stauss, each intern team worked differently together and each had their own strengths and weaknesses, but I learned SO much through all of those times. I watched John and Erin fall in love, get married and bring one precious life into the world and am sad that I will miss the baby stages of Baby Fergy #2! They taught me so much and helped me become who I am today. Tonight I sat on stage and looked out at a crowd of students, some that have been around for awhile and some only a few short months, but as I said good-bye and left them with words of wisdom, in my heart I was speaking them to each and every student that I have ever had the honor and privilege to serve. I may have been the leader, but those students taught me so much and for that I am forever grateful!! From a group of 4 small group girls that are now off in college seeking the face of the Lord, to a young group of Sophomore girls who still have so much to endure, to each and every student that I have ever known....THANK YOU...for teaching me far more than I could have ever taught you!! Thank you to Trinity's youth group, from the leaders that taught to me when I was in high school to the leaders that I have stood beside every Wednesday for the past 4 years!! I have been so blessed and my heart is filled with so many memories! I can't wait to embark upon the next journey that the Lord has for me, but ending a chapter is always a bittersweet thing to do, however the time has come for me to turn the page! Good-bye Trinity Student Ministries, you will forever hold a dear place in my heart!!

Emily

(aka Captain)




No comments:

Post a Comment