Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Baby Brother!

(note: this was not taken at tonight's race!)

Today I watched my little brother run in a 5K, probably the last race that I will get to watch him run, because truth be told, coming up from Texas for a race every Tuesday isn't really feasible. This 5k was extra special for a couple reasons, 5 high school students organized this run all by themselves! They did it for an amazing cause, Samaritan's Purse! They called this race living water, because that is what they will do, provide water for African communities that are in need! I was so proud of these 5 students and all the work they did to put on such an event!

LinkAlthough, as this race began tonight, the clouds began to grow dark, the rain began to fall, first gently and then harder, the wind began to blow and soon, as they were only a little bit into the race, the tornado sirens began to wale. The runners (and walkers - doing a 1 mile family walk) continued and pushed through!! It went from 80's to 60's very quickly, the rain kept coming and the wind blew strong. As I thought about my brother and his life right now, I have a feeling that sometimes he feels much like he did during that race tonight, that everything is against him! The rain will come, the wind will blow and at times the sirens will wale, but there is a finish line in the distance, you just have to keep pushing through to get there! Just like you give every race your all and you don't give up, do the same in life, keep pushing, keep fighting, keep struggling through the pain, for soon there will be a finish line and you will have made it through that race! The sun will shine again, the clouds will part and the birds will chirp, there will be brighter days, you just have to push through the storm to get there!! I love you little buddy and even though I may not be here physically to cheer you on both in running races and life races, know that I am always cheering for you in my heart and will pray for you often! You've got this kid...this race...this storm...you can do it!!! You serve a God that will pull you through every storm life throws your way!!!


"Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us" - Hebrews 12:1

No comments:

Post a Comment